Pages

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Homemade yogurt

During our Korea trip, 1 of the morning we had breakfast at a hotel that served fresh strawberry yogurt. Not those individual can that we buy from supermarkets. It was served in a big bowl like soup, with toppings like almonds and nuts. I had it with pieces of fresh oranges.

After coming back home, I miss the fresh yogurt. I then searched for the recipe on the net, surprisingly it's so easy! The only thing I needed to buy was a food thermometer.

I reused a spaghetti sauce glass bottle for measuring the amount of milk I need and to store my yogurt. I do not have a heating pad, I wrapped the bottle of warm milk + yogurt starter with towels, then put inside a food warmer bag and left it at a corner in my kitchen.

I didn't want it to be too sour, so I left it for about 9 hours (overnight). I woke up in the morning, sliced some strawberries, mixed it in the yogurt, and placed it in the fridge.



Homemade yogurt is not as thick as the commercial ones. It tastes great with the appropriate sourness yet feels so fresh especially to eat it with (lots of) fresh fruits.

6 comments:

  1. you can buy plain yogurt (not sour) off shelf. use it as the "agent" to in ur your homemade yogurt by adding a bit of it. not sure on measurement...but i know it wrks...test2 lah...hehe. then subsequent yogurt can be pure homemade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this is what I did (it's in the recipe).

    ReplyDelete
  3. FOr me, i just buy those off the shelf plain yogurt (stored in freezer) and miz with fruit to replace mayo. I add in pears, apple and orange and it tastes just fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wah, you are surely resourceful,... for me I know how to eat only. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehe, I just like to try out recipes :p

    ReplyDelete