Pages

Monday, October 17, 2011

Chocolate Chiffon Cake

I like baking chiffon cakes. While the cake is baking, I always look through the oven door every 10 mins, wishing for the cake to rise, rise, rise. When I take the cake out from the oven, overturn it on the table and look at it, I wish: don't fall, don't fall, don't fall.

But this time (this is my 4th or 5th time, lost count), it still falls. It's too heavy for a chiffon cake, and it falls out from the cake tin immediately when I overturned it to cool it.

Thankfully, friends and family who ate it still considered it nice :)
The cake fell off the cake tin, but still intact.

I adapted the recipe from here:

Ingredients:

A)
5 egg yolks
85 gm corn oil (I used canola oil)
115 ml hot milk
1 1/2 Tbsp instant Nescafe Gold (I used Cocoa powder)
120gm sugar
150gm flour
1 tsp baking powder

B)
5 egg whites
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
90gm sugar

Method:

1. Dissolve coffee (Cocoa) powder in hot milk. Leave to cool down.

2. Preheat oven to 180C.

3. Combine milk with the rest of ingredients (A) until it becomes a smooth paste. (I beat the yolks, followed by sugar, oil, milk + Cocoa, and lastly sift in flour. I mixed well at each addition of ingredients.)

4. Beat egg whites until frothy. Add in cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks.
5. Add in sugar bit by bit and beat egg whites until stiff.

6. Put in 1/4 of egg whites into (3) and fold to combine.
7. Repeat step 6.
8. Pour (7) into remaining egg whites and fold to combine well.
I put in 1/2 egg whites into (3), fold, then put this mixture into remaining egg whites and fold till well incorporated.

9. Pour batter into clean ungreased tube pan. Lightly shake pan left and right to level the cake.
10. Bake at 170C for 40 minutes.
11. Immediately remove from oven and turn cake upside down on table. (cake will sink if not done fast)
12. Leave cake to cool completely before dislodging from pan using a flat knife. Cut with a sharp knife.
I didn't need to dislodge the cake because it fell of the cake tin once I overturned it.

It rises high, but shrank too much at the bottom.
The texture of the cake is too compact.

No comments:

Post a Comment